Saturday, September 25, 2010

It was an accident

The nights are getting cooler and the deer are out.  I know this very well.  But an accident happened and it was totally unavoidable.  I saw the mother on one side of the road when my headlights hit her.  I slowed down just as her little baby came across the road right in front of me. I've learned not to swerve so to not lose control of the vehicle. I didn't want to hit either of them, but it was too late. I hit the baby deer. I was slowing down, but I wasn't slowed down enough.  I heard the impact. Visions of a little baby deer on the road hit by me were on my mind. I immediately prayed to God to take the baby deer to deer heaven, please don't let it suffer. The mother deer was looking on and probably went to her baby after I drove on not looking back but praying all the way to work.  I couldn't stop and get out. I couldn't. What could I do if I did? I've hit deer in the past, but not killed them and not a baby deer.  Deer jump out into the road in a second, and if it's the wrong moment,  an unavoidable collision is going to occur, sorry to say.  I'm not feeling good about this even while I'm typing this. And everyone I've spoken to has said it wasn't my fault and there was nothing I could do.  Doesn't make me feel any better.  The little deer was either crippled, or killed. It's a life ruined by me in my big metal machine. I hope this doesn't happen again for a very long time. I took a different route home.
The photo here show two beautiful deer-they're larger than the one I sent to deer heaven.
Young deer I hope never meet an automobile on the road
Photo credit: marykbaird from morguefile.com

No comments:

Post a Comment