Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Products and people- from sturdy to flimsy

Have you noticed the change? Cereal and laundry detergent boxes aren't as big as they used to be. Dog food bags are either thinner or smaller as well. I've noticed canned food cans are slightly smaller. Even aerosol cans are smaller in diameter.  Manufacturers have made ever-so-slightly packaging changes in hopes consumers wouldn't notice the downsizing.  
Products don't hold up as long neither. I can't find a can opener that will last longer than 6 months before I need a new one. I had bought my Mom a name brand hand-held mixer, thinking surely it would last a number of years, but after a couple months she told me the beaters kept falling out. In my kitchen, I still toast my bread using an old vintage toaster I bought from an antique shop back in the late 70's during my Marine Corps days. It's got one of those round, black electrical cords and ticks when it's toasting, but it works just as good as the first time I toasted in it-no telling how old it is. Things are made of lesser quality material now. My latest vehicle doesn't have a metal body all around. Some of the body panels are fiberglass. Wow! That's very comforting knowing I'm protected with fiberglass against an oncoming logging truck. Why use flimsier, lesser quality materials to in a vehicle? I know-it's about making it lighter for better fuel consumption. Well, the truth be told, when products were made with sturdier material they lasted much longer.


                           My trusty old toaster is still toasting my bread over 30 years

Not only have products changed, so have values, moral, and attitudes of people. I'm sure many other people my age or older have noticed this as well. We can compare and see the younger generations aren't carrying forward many ideas us older folk were taught, lived by and hold sacred. The younger generations march to a different drum beat or something different. And that something isn't very comforting or what I call being good, solid, values and morals.  

The following is part of an email on senior citizens I received.


Upon reflection, we would like to point out that it was NOT the senior citizens who took:

The
 melody out of music,
The
 pride out of appearance,
The
 courtesy out of driving,
The
 romance out of love,
The
 commitment out of marriage,
The
 responsibility out of parenthood,
The
 togetherness out of the family,
The
 learning out of education,
The
 service out of patriotism,
The
 Golden Rule from rulers,
The
 nativity scene out of cities,
The
 civility out of behavior,
The
 refinement out of language,
The
 dedication out of employment,
The
 prudence out of spending,
The
 ambition out of achievement or
God
out of government and school.
And we certainly are NOT  the ones who eliminated patience and tolerance from personal relationships and interactions with others!!

And, we do understand the meaning of patriotism, and remember those who have fought and died for our country.
 
Just look at the Seniors with tears in their eyes and pride in their hearts as they stand
 at attention with their hand over their hearts!

YES, I'M A SENIOR CITIZEN!

 ------------------------------------------------End of email.



I'm sure I'm not the only one thinking, "what's happened?"  Good, solid, sturdy, things are now made flimsy, and the strong fortitude, backbone, commitment and convictions people used to posses and exhibit have also become 'flimsy. This is becoming a 'wimpy world'

What do you think about this?

No comments:

Post a Comment